ICB Bookkeeping Courses
The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) was founded in 1996 with five key goals:
- To promote the bookkeeping profession
- To help bookkeeping gain recognition as an integral part of the financial profession
- To promote learning and education
- To provide a set of recognised bookkeeping qualifications
- To become a trusted benchmark for the profession
Introducing the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
‘Institute’ is a protected title which requires Governmental approval from the Secretary of State and can only be used by “professional bodies of the highest standing.” And so the ICB’s rules that govern membership ensure that only the finest professionals are eligible to join, and that certification is based on exams. To maintain membership members need to maintain their training via Continuous Professional Development.
Over 150,000 ICB students and members
The ICB is currently in over 100 countries all over the world, including all 53 commonwealth countries.
“Not just a bookkeeper, an ICB bookkeeper”
The bookkeeping industry has been regulated since the introduction of the 2007 money laundering act. This means that to operate as a bookkeeper you need to be a member of a regulatory body such as the ICB. This makes an ICB qualification even more attractive.
As the reputation and recognition of the ICB has spread, businesses increasingly look for ICB certification when they are looking to hire a good freelance bookkeeper. Businesses are not just looking for a bookkeeper, they are looking for an ICB bookkeeper.
The first level is associate member and you would be entitled to use the letters AICB after your name.
An associate member is somebody who is either on their way to a further qualification, or perhaps an accounts assistant, who doesn’t need to get as far as a set of year-end accounts but what they do need to do is be completely accurate with everything that is brought into those accounts.
The second level of membership entitles you to use the letters MICB after your name.
When moving from Associate to Member, you’ll learn the skills needed to work with any type of business. You’ll be able to produce VAT Returns, control the sales and purchases ledger, post year-end adjustments, and produce the final accounts for sole traders, partnerships, not-for-profit organisations, and limited companies.
And a full member will traditionally be working in a business where they are providing perhaps the only set of accounts for the management. The majority of members actually then start their own practice.
To become a Fellow of the ICB you must pass Level 4 Qualifications and have been a MICB for the previous 2 years. This is the final level of membership and this entitles you to use the letters FICB after your name.
This is where you use all of your experience of working with businesses and appreciate that small businesses may not understand what the figures are doing for them.
So this is where you go beyond compliance, and are able to analyse a set of accounts to show how a business is doing at the moment and how it could be doing better.
The benefits of ICB membership
By becoming an ICB member you are demonstrating your commitment to the profession and making yourself more attractive to potential employers.
- Networking – Build your professional network through local branch meetings, and the annual Bookkeepers Summit.
- Online resources – Access to exclusive areas of the ICB website
- Professional development – If you want to be the best then the learning never ends – Continuing Professional Development can help you to expand your knowledge and skills.
- Technical helpline – Need access to a specialist adviser? Help is at hand.
- Career support – Access to online resources and the job vacancy portal.
- ICBenefits – get preferential rates on services provided by partners.
Christine studied with us and started her own practice after 12 months…
“I achieved Distinctions in 12 exams with results ranging from 95% to 100%, and I won the ICB Student of the Year Luca Award. I set up my own business and won ICB New Bookkeeping Practice Of The Year”
- Successfully trained over 6000 students over 23 years
- Specialist experts in providing education and training for Bookkeeping, Accounts and Payroll
- Pass rates consistently above 95%
- Never settle for being the best. Course material is continually developed and improved to ensure the resources you receive are as up-to-date, enjoyable and effective as possible
- More learning materials and utilities per ICB course than any college or Training Provider. (Not just a book and contact details for a tutor)
- Easy to follow, highest quality up-to-date printed and bound workbooks for every unit
- Practical hands on activities throughout ensuring you have both knowledge and skills
- Only use the top Sage software package for our courses. (Not Sage Essentials or Sage One, and No Subscriptions)
- Award-Winning, dedicated personal tutors to encourage and help you every step of the way, available by e-mail and phone
- Student Services department operational 7 days a week
- Private Facebook Group for peer-to-peer support. It is also a place to unwind and chat with tutors in a more relaxed environment
- Fully prepare students for exams with mock tests and revision packs and won’t send a student to a final exam until they feel they’re ready
- Include the best of everything in their prices and don’t ask you to purchase add-on’s such as reference materials or additional resources
No hidden Costs, No Gimmicks and No False Claims
- Training Link are happy to give detailed, open and transparent help and advice to all students from initial start-up, all the way to working in the industry or even setting up their own bookkeeping and accounts business.
- Online Enhanced Learning Resource with extra lessons and tests.
24/7 Assignment marking with instant results and feedback.
Browse our ICB courses by level
…or save money with our course packages
ICB Self-Employed Package *Exams Included*
Perfect if you want to work as a self-employed bookkeeper. When you pass the exams you can apply for an ICB Practice Licence.
This collection includes:
- ICB Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping
- ICB Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping
- ICB Level 3 Diploma in Payroll Management
- ICB Level 4 Self-Assessment Tax Returns
And all exam fees are included.
The ICB Self-Employed Bookkeeper Package is £1920, saving £415 on individual course costs. And you can spread the cost over 36 months at £55.68 per month.