AAT Level 4 Diploma in Professional Accounting
Gain the knowledge and skills to handle complex management accounting techniques. You will learn how to draft financial statements for limited companies and analyse accounting systems and controls.
You will also choose two out of five optional units which will help you gain specialist knowledge more tailored to the job you’d like to perform.
Our unique and highly effective learning materials and resources have been developed to ensure you are able to progress smoothly and quickly through the units ensuring a higher rate of success.
No other training provider includes as many materials, lessons, examples and activities.
|Exceptional AAT pass rates|
|Study whenever you want – at your own pace|
|Award-winning tutor support|
|Dedicated accounting and bookkeeping training provider|
|Interest-free payment plans to spread the cost|
Training Link focuses on three subjects: Accounting, Bookkeeping, and Payroll.
This keeps us focused on delivering the best student experience. And that’s why over the last 27 years we’ve won over 20 awards – from AAT’S Best New Training Provider in 2018 to ICB’s Large Training Provider of the Year for 10 years in a row. And several of our tutors have been awarded ‘Tutor of the Year’ by the ICB.
Training Link has created all of the study material in our blended and blended live course packages. The printed study manuals, online resources, videos, tests, and mock exams – are exclusive to Training Link and are not available from any other distance learning provider.
And because we control this material, we can improve it based on student feedback and results. This is what helps Training Link students achieve a 91% pass rate at level 4 based on exams from 1 July 2021 and 30 June 2022 on AQ2016 syllabus.
Our most cost-effective option. Ideal if you want a digital-only study experience with tutor support. This does not include Training Link’s bespoke online materials or books.
Our most popular package. This is the core Training Link study experience.
Want live online classes? Then this is the package for you.
On our Blended Live course package you’ll still enjoy all of the benefits of our standard ‘Blended’ course package but with the addition of scheduled live online classes which take place every two weeks. And if you miss a live session, you’ll be able to watch them on-demand shortly afterwards.
Choose a course package to see pricing.
AAT was established in 1980 and is the world’s leading professional body for accounting technicians with over 130,000 members.
AAT’s qualifications are internationally-recognised, OfQual regulated, and the syllabus has been developed after feedback from businesses so students develop real-world skills which improve their employability. They award 80% of all vocational qualifications in accounting.
Organisations such as Sainsbury’s, P&G, Morgan Stanley, the Ministry of Defence and many more continue to hire AAT qualified members for their knowledge, skills, and diligence.
Studying for an AAT qualification is a much more cost-effective option for school-leavers. It offers the promise of a career in a well-respected profession and doesn’t lead to the eye-watering levels of debt associated with a typical university education.
80% of AAT members that have completed an AAT accounting qualification agree that it has increased their earning potential.*
* – source – AAT’s salary survey 2021
You can complete this course in 24 months or less.
The mandatory units are:
Applied Management Accounting
This unit focuses on the three basic areas of management accounting: planning, control and decision-making.
All organisations need accurate, business-focused information to make sound judgements.
This unit will allow you to understand the budgetary process. You will be able to construct budgets and identify and report both on areas of success and on areas of concern. You will also gain the skills to critically evaluate organisational performance.
- Understand and implement the organisational planning process
- Use internal processes to enhance operational control
- Use techniques to aid short-term and long-term decision making
- Analyse and report on business performance
Drafting and Interpreting Financial Statements
You will gain the skills and knowledge to draft the financial statements of single limited companies. And you’ll learn how to draft the consolidated financial statements for groups of companies.
You will become proficient in your knowledge and understanding of international accounting standards. You will apply this when you draft the financial statements. You will also understand the regulatory and conceptual frameworks that underpin the preparation of limited company financial statements.
- Understand the reporting frameworks that underpin financial reporting
- Draft statutory financial statements for limited companies
- Draft consolidated financial statements
- Interpret financial statements using ratio analysis
Internal Accounting Systems and Controls
All organisations must guard against fraud through good control systems. But, many businesses underestimate the probability and impact of employee fraud. The accounts department plays a vital role in preventing the misuse of resources, and this unit shows you how to evaluate internal controls and recommend improvements.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the accounting function within an organisation
- Evaluate internal control systems
- Evaluate an organisation’s accounting system and underpinning procedures
- Understand the impact of technology on accounting systems
- Recommend improvements to an organisation’s accounting system
And choose two from the following optional units:
This unit introduces students to UK taxation relevant to businesses. You will understand how to compute business taxes for sole traders, partnerships and limited companies. You will also identify tax planning opportunities and understand the ethical standards.
- Prepare tax computations for sole traders and partnerships
- Prepare tax computations for limited companies
- Prepare tax computations for the sale of capital assets by limited companies
- Understand administrative requirements of the UK’s tax regime
- Understand the tax implications of business disposals
- Understand tax reliefs, tax planning opportunities and agent’s responsibilities in reporting taxation to HM Revenue & Customs
You will gain essential knowledge of income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. You will be ready to compute these taxes and appreciate how taxpayers can minimise their overall tax liability.
- Understand principles and rules that underpin taxation systems
- Calculate UK taxpayers’ total income
- Calculate income tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs) payable by UK taxpayers
- Calculate capital gains tax payable by UK taxpayers
- Understand the principles of inheritance tax
Audit and Assurance
You will gain an awareness of the audit process from planning and risk assessment to the final completion and production of the audit report.
You will also get a practical perspective on audit and assurance, with an emphasis on the application of audit and assurance techniques to current systems. You will be equipped with the skills to undertake an audit under supervision and will gain an understanding of the regulatory frameworks and ethical requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the audit and assurance framework
- Demonstrate the importance of professional ethics
- Evaluate the planning process for audit and assurance
- Evaluate procedures for obtaining sufficient and appropriate evidence
- Review and report findings
Cash and Financial Management
This unit focuses on the importance of managing cash within organisations. It covers the knowledge and skills to make informed decisions on financing and investment in accordance with organisational policies and external regulations.
- Prepare forecasts for cash receipts and payments
- Prepare cash budgets and monitor cash flows
- Understand the importance of managing finance and liquidity
- Understand ways of raising finance and investing funds
- Understand regulations and organisational policies that influence decisions in managing cash and finance
Credit and Debt Management
You will learn how to apply the principles of effective credit control systems, including appropriate debt management systems.
- Understand relevant legislation and contract law that impacts the credit control environment
- Understand how information is used to assess credit risk and grant credit in compliance with organisational policies and procedures
- Understand the organisation’s credit control processes for managing and collecting debts
- Understand different techniques available to collect debts
You need to hold a Level 3 AAT Accountancy qualification or equivalent. Please contact us if you hold a qualification or have experience in Bookkeeping and Accounts. We can then advise you on possible exemptions.
A good understanding of the English language is essential.
By the time you are level 4 qualified this qualification could lead to employment as:
- Professional Accounting Technician
- Assistant Financial Accountant
- Assistant Auditor
- Cost Accountant
- Assistant Management Accountant
- Fixed Asset Accountant
- Commercial Analyst
- Indirect Tax Manager
- Payroll Manager
- Payments and Billing Manager
- Senior Bookkeeper
- Senior Fund Accountant
- Senior Financial Officer
- Senior Insolvency Administrator
- Accounts Payable and Expenses Supervisor
- Tax Supervisor
- VAT Accountant
AAT’s salary survey from 2021 suggested that the average level 4 student salary was £30,000.
Q: Is registration included?
Yes. As a special offer, we are including your Level 4 registration at no extra cost.
Q: Are assessment fees (exams) included?
No. You will need to book your own exams at an approved AAT assessment centre of your choice. You would pay the test centre directly at the time of booking.
Q: What is the average completion time for these courses?
There are three mandatory units and two specialist units chosen from five options.
Our students take anything from 9 months to 18 months to complete this Level 4 course. As this is distance learning you create your own schedule- you can fast-track your studies if you want, but if you need to take longer that’s OK too.
The units are assessed by a Computer Based Assessment (CBA). You will complete these at an approved AAT assessment centre of your choice. Assessment fees are payable to the centre/venue and may incur an administration fee.
On completion of all units, you will get a Certificate from the AAT.
On our Blended and Blended Live course packages, you will encounter a series of online knowledge tests throughout the course. This includes End of course tests and Online exam simulation tests (Mock Assessments). Our specialist department will provide you with feedback advice and support, plus any additional lessons and tests you may need prior to taking an assessment.
Arranging an assessment:
There are over 200 external assessment venues available in the UK. To find your nearest venue go to AAT’s Assessment Venue Search.
When the time comes to take an assessment, you can choose from the list and contact them to arrange a suitable time and date.
Want more flexibility?
Our tutor support timeframes are deliberately generous and far exceed what most students need.
Most of our students finish well in advance of the course duration. But what happens if you do need a little longer?
This is where our course extension options come into play. We offer one-month, three-month, and six-month extensions so you can feel reassured by knowing that if you do need extra time you have that option.
Spread payments over 3 years
Our finance option is provided in partnership with Omni Capital. For your finance application to be considered you must meet the following criteria:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be employed for at least 16 hours per week or retired and in receipt of a private or company pension. Certain state benefit schemes may be considered.
- Be a permanent UK resident with a 3 year address history
- Have a good credit history with no late payments, debt relief orders or bankruptcies
- Have a valid email address and can access it
Please note that meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee finance acceptance.
If you want to enrol on a course and you have questions about your Omni Capital application or want to discuss other payment options please call us on 0800 594 2822.